Tuning day 30th August

Harmonize your boxer

Tuning day 30th August

Postby Cookie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Tuning day Saturday 30th August, Maylands, from noon, BBQ and fridge up and running.

Contact me if you need address :P
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
Cookie

Re: Tuning day 30th August

Postby jono » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:55 pm

The address is also available on the members private forum 8)
jono
Site Admin

Postby bully1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:28 pm

I am working on the day.. so my apologies...Jono could you please bring the wheel balancer to breakie on Sunday ( or arrange to het it there ) as I need to use it to fit some tyres, the dial guage is, of course, the clubs, so should be left with Alex.
bully1

Postby RobBD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Cookie,
I won't be there - in-laws are visiting - could throw the old mother in-law on the back and bring her around to tell you all dirty jokes while you work I suppose, but she knows so many you wouldn't get any tuning done.
Cheers Rob
RobBD

Postby jono » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:21 pm

bully1 wrote:I am working on the day.. so my apologies...Jono could you please bring the wheel balancer to breakie on Sunday ( or arrange to het it there ) as I need to use it to fit some tyres, the dial guage is, of course, the clubs, so should be left with Alex.

Yes will drop the gauge and it's stand with Alex and bring the stand along.....somehow
jono
Site Admin

Sticking piston - rear brake caliper

Postby Digger » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:17 pm

I was pulling my rear caliper apart (on the XT600) because the piston was sticking. For the life of me, i cant get the rubber boot back on the piston (actually where the boot fits inside the cylinder). Rather than me keep trying and risk damaging the boot, i might bring it along on Saturday in the hope that there is a trick in the trade that i dont know about to get it to fit easily. Either that, or one of you blokes might have a bigger hammer than me :lol:
You don't have to have a long neck...to be a goose

My YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/budgetmovies
(Mongrel Dog Productions)
Digger

Postby Cookie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Does anyone have a 20lt drum or similar for waste oil?

Digger did you recieve the PM with address? it did not seem to send properly?
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
Cookie

Re: Sticking piston - rear brake caliper

Postby _Wilks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Digger wrote:I was pulling my rear caliper apart (on the XT600) because the piston was sticking. For the life of me, i cant get the rubber boot back on the piston (actually where the boot fits inside the cylinder). Rather than me keep trying and risk damaging the boot, i might bring it along on Saturday in the hope that there is a trick in the trade that i dont know about to get it to fit easily. Either that, or one of you blokes might have a bigger hammer than me :lol:

I use WD40 to help pesky rubber thingies (of the automotive kind 8) ) slide back into place.
_Wilks

Postby spacey1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Sorry Gents,

RULE NUMBER 1: Working on hydraulic brakes and clutches - Hydraulic means anything with brake fluid inside.

NEVER USE PETROLEUM BASED / OIL BASED PRODUCTS FOR CLEANING AND ASSEMBLING BRAKE COMPONENTS.

ALWAYS USE PROPER BRAKE CLEANERS FOR CLEANING

ALWAYS USE RUBBER GREASE TO ASSEMBLE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDERS, SLAVE CYLINDERS, DISC CALIPER PISTONS, AND WHEELS CYLINDERS.

AND UNLESS OTHERWISE PRESCRIBED FOR CLUTCHES, THE ABOVE RULE ALSO APPLIES. (SOME HYDRAULIC CLUTCHES USE SPECIAL FLUIDS, IN WHICH CASE ADHDERE TO RECOMMENDATIONS SPECIFIC TO THOSE FLUID TYPES)

MOST INTERNAL BRAKE SEALS, CUPS, BOOTS ARE MOSTLY RUBBER AND WILL SWELL BIG-TIME IF PETROLEUM BASED / OIL BASED PRODUCTS ARE USED.

THIS WILL CAUSE LEAKS AND SWOLLEN SEALS WHICH CAN, IN THE CASE OF DISC BRAKES, STOP THE DISK CALIPER PISTON FROM RETURNING. AND GREATLY REDUCING THE LIFE AND PERFORMANCE OF THE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM, BRAKE OR CLUTCH.

THERE ARE NO JOKES WHEN IT COMES TO BRAKES, ONLY SAD STORIES :cry:
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Brake Repairs....

Postby Digger » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up Nev....i did figure out how to reassemble the rear caliper before attending the tune up day and i did use WD40 (not that it helped in this case). The reason i could not reassemble it earlier is because i was using a spring clip incorrectly. Now that i know how to disassemble/reassemble the caliper and piston, i'll pull it off and apart and remove any remnants of WD40 or the like.
Thanks.
Regards
You don't have to have a long neck...to be a goose

My YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/budgetmovies
(Mongrel Dog Productions)
Digger

Return to Tuning Days