To bring or not?

Club and BMW related

To bring or not?

Postby Transalp » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of moving to Port Headland in WA and was wondering whether it would be worth shipping my 08 1200GSA to Aus or it would be easier to sell and buy again when I get there?

I am in South Africa at present and enjoy a very wide and varied riding conditions from Mountain passes to deserts what is the terrain like in WA?

Thanks all
Transalp

Re: To bring or not?

Postby _Wilks » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 am

Welcome Transalp.

I lived 10 years in Karratha (200kms south of Pt Hedland - drop the 'a' mate :lol: ) until 2002, all of it sans motorbike :cry: . Port Hedland and Karratha is in the Pilbara region of WA. I must warn you at this point - I am extremely biased (pro) when it comes to the Pilbara. The quick answer is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BIKE, it will be worth it. No mountains to ride on or over, but plenty of interesting and rugged country. The northwest of WA is huge so there is plenty of distance between sights (bummer) and population centres are sparse (not necessarily a bad thing). The extra fuel range with a GSA will be a definite advantage. The summer heat pattern is long, usually 38 - 42C degrees starting October/November and not dropping until April, so depending on your heat tolerance level that might restrict your adventures.

I'm not sure about the process of importing. Advrider (Regional Forums - Australia) has some discussion. Try this as a starting point http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366699&highlight=dotars. The general opinion seems to be that it is expensive and a lot of hassle.

The Australian government agency you'll deal with is http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/index.aspx and the State government vehicle licensing agency is http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/566.asp

Shane
_Wilks

Postby Transalp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Thnks Shne (you sid drop the "a") :lol:

Looks like I will have to sell the GSA in South Africa and buy again when I get there. I presume that I will have to go to Perth for a BMW agent which could present a problem for servicing (a 3200km round trip?) I will have to look around for pricing over there but no worries, I cannot live without a bike.

Sounds like some lekker (read nice) rides around Pilbara area and the heat is not too bad. Johannesberg in summer is 32-36 and down around the Karoo 40-45 so aslong as you stay hydrated not too many worries.

From what you say it seems to be the sort of terrain we have in the Northern Cape, this ranges from low rolling hills to scrub semi desert with towns about 200km apart.

Thanks for the info, will keep you posted on my descision about buying when I get over there hopefully in about 6 months.

Martyn
Transalp

Postby _Wilks » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Sooo... a smrtrse hey. You'll fit right in with the Pilbr mob :lol: :lol:

1600km for a service is just a day ride. You'll have to stick around for the Club's weekly Sunday morning tea/coffee/breafast and tell yarns about riding in the Pilbara. Some (at least me) will get quite jealous. ADVRider.com has an active inmate who goes by the name Pilbara - can't remember if he lives in Karratha or Pt Hedland. I reckon he'll be a good contact up there. Who knows - there might be way to get a log book service for a GSA up there.

One of our flock hails from SA and some of us just love to piss him off with our pathetic attempts at speaking the SA way :P. We save it up for the rides though, that way he has to suffer us for days. Great care is taken not to overdo it cos we tend to get a bit worried every time he reaches for his saddlebags :shock: ... what, with his military background and all!!

If you decide to make the move, do you expect to be in WA by May? If yes, don't forget to click on the Desert Raid logo on the BMWMCCWA home page. It promises to be a great... sorry, lekker ride. We're expecting a strong turnout from the WA GS riders plus many more on a range of bikes and from across Australia.

Look forward to having you on board.

Shane
_Wilks

Postby Richard Hughes » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:21 am

I lived in Port Hedland for many years, the Jewel of the Pilbara as it is sometimes called, the Pilbara has some of the best rides in Aus, too hot in sumer, but great in winter, if you decide to bring your bike you won't be sorry, if you decide to sell overhere, you won't have a problem as they are hard to find in WA.
Are you moving to Port Hedland for work?, as I can't think of any other reason.
Good luck....
Richard
Richard Hughes

Postby Transalp » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:22 am

_Wilks, yip you can call me a smrtse, that is my Fathers sense of humour from Liverpool England. I was born and raised there and moved to SA 23 years ago at the age of 23. I have an aptitute for languages and learnt Afrikaans in about 3 months and love taking the p1ss out of them :twisted: . Most of them do not have a sense of humour and the subtleties of the English language is lost on them, so I will fit right in with the Aussie guys.
I expect to be in Aus in about 3 to 6 months so will not be available for the raid this year :(

Richard, Looking at the problems experienced by the guys on Avrider (Wilks's links) I think selling here and buying there will be a better idea. I see they cost about $25,000 which should be do'able.
yip, work is the idea, it pays for the toys, got a mate over there who is willing to sponsor me in to work in his business in the trucking industry (services to) so there is huge scope in the Pt Hedland area. I understand there is about 160 Road Trains running there.
You say too hot, but here in SA we see 40+ on many a day but without the humidity.

Look forward to meeting you guys (and gals?) in the not too distant future.

Martyn
Transalp

Postby jono » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Transalp

There is a BMW Service Tech in Perth who organises and manages BMW imports for guys like you (well this end of the import anyway)
I believe he just completed a no fuss import for anothe Soof African who came riding with us last Saturday.
The Techie's name is Dave Munro of Better Motor Cycle Repairs 3/112 Briggs Street Welshpool, WA 6106, Ph +61 8 9472 0000
Perhaps one of the other forum users might have an email address you can use to contact him.

Otherwise you can try offering Ben 25K for his R1200GS I am sure he would be happy to negotiate ;-)

Cheers
JonO
JonO
jono
Site Admin

Postby wightman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:14 am

Hi Martyn

A lot of people are bringing their motorcycles over. I think most bring theirs over airfreight because it's quite quick. I sea freighted mine over because I had several, and I was in no rush. Even if you airfreight your bike in, you will be jerked around at both ends. Like Shane pointed out, you have to have import clearance from Canberra before shipping. Make sure the eng and fr #s are correct on the import permit! Make sure you retain proof of ownership of the bike.

The freight company you use over in SA will phone you up 5 minutes before the ship leaves/plane takes off, to either bring the keys/disconnect the battery/drain the engine oil so be prepared and try and do all those things in advance. You must also get police clearance in SA for the vehicle. You will also pay for the clearance of the bike this end, so no hassle but you will pay GST, 10% of the value of the bike. A place like BMR will assist by way of placing your compliance plate and registration at their local registering authority. Your compliance plate will be ordered from Melbourne (2 weeks wait) and has to be fitted. The bike will be pit inspected after the plate has been fitted. You might have to sign affidavits here that the brakes have no asbestos parts and the aircon has no cfcs in it!

The price of BMWs is about 50% more here than in SA so really financially, there is no definite way to go........MAKE SURE YOU THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE BIKE BEFORE CRATING. The airfreight cost for a single bike is somewhat more than R10 000 but if you squeeze it into your 12m container it will cost considerably less. When you get over here, get in touch with us (join the club and so on) and you can utilise BMR to facilitate the last hoop jumping exercises before your WA plates are fitted.

Look forward to seeing you on a WA road sometime!
wightman

Postby _Wilks » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:53 am

Martyn,

I'm sure there are enough Seuth Africens in this club to help you out (Zim is in SA isn't it JonO :lol: ) if you choose to import.

Shane
(An aussie. The last time I spoke I think I was; hang on... beauty mate, ripper, sheila, bloody flies, bloody roos... yep, still an aussie :P )
_Wilks

Postby DavO » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Martyn,

I am the Soof African mentioned by Jono. Brought my GS1200 over to Perth in November and was all cleared on the road before the end of the year. The process is not complicated at all - if you know what is required. I has some difficulties with the freight agent in SA - but that was standard incompetence. When I managed to help them understand what they should be doing (took weeks) the bike everntually was crated and airfreighted. Arrived without a scratch. On the Australian side the process is very clear and goes reasonably quick. It cost be about $1500 for customs duty, VAT, etc. Knowing what i know now would have expedited the process by a few weeks.

Dave Munro @ BMC did all the running around, pit inspections, etc. Cost some dollars but takes the hassle out of it. He is getting quite good at this. Recently handled 8 bikes from SA for slow-Jo, another BMW fan. His bikes are all older ones - 1940's-1970's. Slow-Jo insists on riding bikes that are older than his women. For older bikes (pre-2000 I think) the import process is a little easier. Newer bikes need to go for nationalisation and pass an "entry test" - then get issued with a new ID plate. When last i saw Dave Munro he had another GS freshly in also from SA.

If youa re still thinking of bringing your bike over, the first thing to get is the import permit. Allow 2 months for this. Follow the Vehicle Import link on [u]www.infrastructure.gov.au for what is required.
DavO

Postby Transalp » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 am

Thanks for all the info Guys, but she is up for sale, the bike that is.

I will deffinately get in contact when I get over there and first get housing and the like sorted before getting a bike, so it could take a while, before getting the bike that is.

Once again thanks for the info.

someone told me once that not all Aussies are a bad bunch :lol:
Transalp

Return to General