Looks good

Club and BMW related

Looks good

Postby goodguy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 am

On Gumtree there's a beautiful 91 green Dakar for sale, top condition, a lot done to it, lives in Vic park. I am tempted but already have five bikes, be nice to see this in the club.
goodguy

Re: Looks good

Postby SPANDAU BALLET » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:43 pm

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east-victoria-park/motorcycles/bmw-r100gs-paris-dakar-classic/1140543908

Yeah see that one Guy.

Disclaimer: no funds for this bike.
Its a lovely bike.
BUT: Paint scheme...........not Kosher.Green Its my least favorite GSPD colour and its not original.........WHY?
Decals not original why?..........its not like theyre hard to get. The paint and the decals as they are would set off my OCD.
Please customize or alter your bike as you will, but don't do so then refer to it as a "Classic" which it is definitely not
He's listed the bike as Classic............In my view that moniker denotes the last of the R247's off the Spandau line in 1996
They were all Black and had snazzy chrome highlights(mmmmtasty) + back to the peanut Valve covers
BMW R100GSPD Classic: Pictured quietly grazing in its native habitat (Africas Savanah)
Also:Dont like his thermo dip-stick
No Corbins/Sargeant
Personally I also prefer em not to be "Double Plugged"

At nearly 90000KMS getting close to some top end work. Its fine pulling it apart and painting it, also afixing a "heavy duty frt mudflap"...but
I think its clear the previous owner was a chronic fiddler.
Tacho disconnected cause it conflicts with his high powered coils??? wow thats not very well thought out.
Describing the original Brakes as "shit" is perhaps a bit of an overstretch. To "perfect the handling" he's fitted some "blah blah" tyres..........wowsers (that probably won't pass the "Pub Test)
I reakon this bloke's had a fair drink of his own Bathwater..........NB:If it's your Bike and your a Club Member I unreservedly withdraw that remark and will buy you a beer and a rubber duck...haha.

Guy, Yesterday I saw a unremarkable, unrestored Honda Bol Dor 900 for $12000.........with that in mind this GSPD is possibly a Bargain. NB:If you are the owner of an unremarkable Honda CB 900 I again apologize unreservedly.
Conclusion: its a great bike at a first glance but a couple of things don't quite add up. You'd need a real close look at it. Having said that theres a lot of crappy examples of these bikes around which are repainted worn out hacks at top Dollar. This one looks far better than that from a distance.
Guy: you already own "The BEAST" that woke Bencubbin..........you dont need this one :lol:
Last edited by SPANDAU BALLET on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SPANDAU BALLET

Postby goodguy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:59 pm

That was great feedback, I really don't know a lot about the finer points of these machines, you mentioned a lot of interesting points that I glazed over that make sense. In the past I have owned three Boldor 900's, nice machines, but $12,000 for an unremarkable one...wow.
goodguy

Postby SPANDAU BALLET » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:04 pm

I seriously considered a CB 900 for $800 bucks in Ray Quinceys in Queen st Melbourne in about 1988
ended up with a CX 500 from a Private buyer that was a Hundred bucks....good times for "the needy and the greedy" eh

Look I'm not expert on the Airheads, Guy like you I'm still learning. Wightman, Ocky or Goldy have probably memorized the Paint Codes :roll:
Im shocked at how much some people are asking for really ordinary Jap Bikes in the middle of a recession. I'd be interested to know how many are selling at the "ask". Beemers are cheaper than the Italians in Australia and always have been. The 3 grand /6 is a thing of the past however (if you have one at this price ring me immediately!)
Guy the Airheads are still cheap. Probably because the cool kids sporting tight pants and moustaches always had Guzzi's and Dukes.
SPANDAU BALLET

Postby Goldie1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:55 pm

John is an ex member and president. His GS I would say would be a reasonably good buy I don't think it would have been worked overly hard
Goldie1

Postby Goldie1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:06 pm

Hey Guy how did you go with the black sled did you sort the problem out and what was the problem
Goldie1

Return to General