Himalayas: Manali to Leh and beyond + PIX

Club and BMW related

Re: Himalayas: Manali to Leh and beyond + PIX

Postby spacey1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Closer to our destination, Pangong Lake. Still not in sight... It's out there :roll:

Our trusty guide, Kelly, takes the lead. Our tummies are full with large serves of carbs again. This is the road-side cafe where I encountered my first delicious serving of 'Maggi Noodles'. I still can't believe how mouth-wateringly tasty those 'Maggi Noodles' were. And wolfed down with the confidence that I was eating food that wouldn't kill me...

Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:17 pm

At cross-roads, to avoid confusion and navigation errors, I played the corner marker. My safety green backpack provided a shining marker for the trailing riders. The locals put their stupas in the most absurd locations. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Now-a-days, when BRO want to upgrade the roads, there's a huge amount of hoo-haa :roll:

Weaving our way through the mountains, and the traffic, proved to be more pleasurable each and every day. :P

Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 pm

But as usual, there are those breath-taking moments where one simply must stop... 8)

To again drink in the vista...

And pay homage to ol' 5151 for it's brilliant service...

Sometimes stopping is even more inspiring than the ride...

Like oil dripping from an artist's canvas...

spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Oops, looks like I'm behind the sweep again. Here's the truck. There's three in the back seat now... and that's the brilliant Ashish in the front passenger side. Go Ashish...

spacey1

Postby Kenny Gawenda » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Great photos and run report! A top ride! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Cheers!
Kenny Gawenda

Postby spacey1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 pm

At last, our first glimpse of the Pangong Lake (altitude 4250 metres)

More paint dripping from the artist's pallette...

Looking back... about 5 hours to Leh...

I'm getting carried away with the scenery. Better get on with catching up to the crew...
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Now here's the rub... All of our previous stop-overs have been quite orderly... The sweep vehicle has always been patient allowing photo stops and the like.

Well, I never did catch up with the sweep truck. Arriving at the Spangmik Village, I'm confronted with literally hundreds of tents, streets (or rocky dirt replicas of same) and signs everywhere but no sign of my crew :|

So after about half an hour of searching for the group, I return to the entrance to the village. Soon after, Kelly finds me and we head down to our tent lodgings for the night.

The Pangong Lake...

• It is a saline water lake which freezes completely during winters. It is said that there are no fish or any aquatic life in the lake, except possible small shrimp. Even micro-vegetation levels are low.
  • The only in-flow of water is snow-melt. It has no out-flow.
  • Pangong Lake is in the process of being identified under the Ramsar Convention as a wetland of international importance.
  • The lake is a disputed territory. The Line of Actual Control passes through the lake.
  • A section of the lake 20 km from the Line of Actual Control is controlled by China but claimed by India.
  • The Eastern end (About 60%) is in China-controlled Tibet and India doesn’t claim it.
  • The Western end is disputed between India and Pakistan.
  • As it is in the Sino-Indian Line of Actual Control, an Inner Line Permit is required to visit the Spangmik Village and surrounds.
The last point was probably the most pertinent. As a foreigner, it is difficult to obtain these permits without using the services of an Indian travel agent (or considerable bakshish :shock: )

A couple of days after we visited, there was a small skirmish at the border.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/india-china-clash-near-high-altitude-pangong-lake-as-border-tensions-refuse-to-subside-all-you-need-to-know-3935981.html
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Looking around the lake on the bikes and on shank's ponies, we discover the local 'favourite' spot where the tourists gather.

Here's James looking pretty tough (on ol' 5151).

I said, "James, take a picture of me just like this..." Well it's pretty close :lol: Still wearing the club shirt 8) So it's still a club ride, right?

There's this famous Indian Bollywood movie called the '3 Idiots'. Apparently scenes were shot up here, hence the Vespa scooter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Idiots
For a small fee, you could dress up like the Idiots and have group shots taken around the scooters with the genuine lake in the background. We didn't do that :roll:

Some say we were already dressed like the 'Idiots'... hmmmmmmmm
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:48 pm

The water originates from only snow-melt and glaciers. It doesn't rain up here. The water is crystal clear and if you notice from the photos, there are almost no people with their feet in the water?

That's because it's 'BLOODY' freezing :shock: ... and crystal clear...

spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Then where else on the planet would you rather be riding motorbikes and have views like these of the Pangong Lake and the Himalayas to soothe your senses... very 8) Deep breathe now...

Looking towards the border... and the Sino-Indian Line of Actual Control. No-Go in that direction, only trouble... :|

spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Hey mate, what's the view like from the front of the tent?

Yep, that's special... Leh is back there. Hard to imagine that we just rode up through those mountains...

Hey mate, my view is pretty special too... Do you know we're camping at about the same altitude as the Matterhorn :shock:

That's looking in the direction to the India / Tibet / China Line of Control...

The ever-changing light has a magical effect on the Pangong Lake and the Himalayas...

The biggest challenge that we're about to encounter is the long trek to the canteen tent for re-fueling the humans. It's about a hundred metres away over a rocky up-hill path. Hard yakka, you know, at 4,350 metres... :shock:
spacey1

Previous

Return to General