Corner Advisory Speeds

Club and BMW related

Corner Advisory Speeds

Postby Bozo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Travelling down south today I went through a 20kmh advisory speed corner on Commonage Road.

This is one of the lowest advisory speeds that I have seen on main WA roads (discounting traffic calming and shared pedestrian precincts). You did not need to slow down to 20kmh to take the corner on a motorcycle.

I understand that advisory speeds are established by a Ball Blank Indication to measure g-forces and relate to car driver comfort rather than limits to adhesion.

It seems ludicrous that most drivers ignore advisory speed limits. They are not enforceable but depending if you drift or squeal your way around a corner you could be a candidate for dangerous driving. Also apparently you void your insurance every time you exceed the advisory speed for a corner.

Some traffic calming has advisory speed limits when you can ride straight through on a motorcycle...does that void your insurance policy even if you stay within the posted speed limit?

It has not been policy to post advisory speed limits on gravel roads as by the time you get to the nominated g force you have lost adhesion. With the progressive sealing of gravel roads the old signs may not be updated leading to surprises mid corner.

There are a few corners in WA that have less margin than you expect as they have poor camber, they tighten or are just badly rated. Other corners have a bump or surface distortion that necessitate lower speed.

Should there be advisory signs just for motor bikes for corners? These would be different on the inside or the outside of a curve and would take into account the length of a curve and changes in camber.

I just think there is too much variation for the current advisory speeds on corners to be much use to motorcycles.

Bozo
Bozo

Re: Corner Advisory Speeds

Postby KoosWA » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:56 am

I apply a simple rule, advisory speed + 30 when on a bike :shock: :mrgreen:
KoosWA

Postby spacey1 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Just stepped out of the WayBack Machine... when the 'Imperial/Metric' conversion was spreading across our vast red land...

We always converted the new (at that time) 'kilometres/hour' advisory signs directly to 'miles/hour'.

eg. 60 kph = 60 mph

But I was a lot younger then :shock: It was however, a lot of fun 8)

Heck, I was a diesel mechanic. We always had to convert something to something else...
Metric, SAE, Imperial, Whitworth, UNF, UNC, and, and, and... It never stopped :cry:
Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour: Indian, Great Southern, and Pacific; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; Dumbleyung; R1200 series final drives; BMW MCC WA 40th Anniversary 2014; Camp Cook Off 2014 / 2013; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby Bozo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Nev

Thanks for converting several disparate coarse posts into a unified fine thread.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby spacey1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:21 pm

You are welcome...

That'll make us a couple of old nuts screwing with the language :lol:
Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour: Indian, Great Southern, and Pacific; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; Dumbleyung; R1200 series final drives; BMW MCC WA 40th Anniversary 2014; Camp Cook Off 2014 / 2013; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Return to General