FIRST AID FOR MOTOR CYCLISTS AT A/C

Club and BMW related

FIRST AID FOR MOTOR CYCLISTS AT A/C

Postby BillB » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:02 pm

BMW Motorrad - First Aid Night.
A must go to event for BMWMCCWA members.

On Wednesday the 14th of March Auto Classic is hosting a First Aid Night for motorcyclists.

Janine Nicholas, Managing Director of “Rider Down” and avid motorcyclist will conduct a one hour presentation of First Aid for the motorcyclist.

Time: 6.15pm to 7.30pm
Food and drinks will be provided.

Email Jonas to secure your place-
Jonas Goulden
BMW Motorcycle Manager
jonas.goulden@autoclassic.com.au

More from Janine:
"My background is working as a paramedic and I am an avid motorcyclist. I founded Medic One Pty Ltd in 1998, which was Australia’s very first Registered Training Organisation to offer formal VET paramedic qualifications to all individuals Australia wide. I am also a certified Emergency Medical Service educator in the United States.

With the latest developments in the treatment of trauma and seeing the latest road statistics for motorcyclist, where Australia had 206 motorcyclist deaths (43 in WA) in 2014, a 6.2% increase from the year before.

With my background and education, I know that 30-40% of motorcyclist deaths may have been prevented if the correct and immediate first aid had been applied.

In 2015, I created a unique course called Rider Down, First Aid for the Motorcyclist. This program is NOT your typical first aid course but includes critical information required to deal with a Rider Down situation."

For additional information visit http://www.RiderDown.com.au.
BEWARE .... I'm looking at your teeth .....
R1200 GSA 2009, K1200 LT 1999, Suzuki DR 650 2012, C650GT 2016
BillB

Re: FIRST AID FOR MOTOR CYCLISTS AT A/C

Postby theape » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks Bill, thoroughly recommend this course, I have done it before.
Cheers
Alex
theape

Postby Cookie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Sounds great looking forward to it :)
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
Cookie

Postby BillB » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am

Reminder for those that have indicated they are going on this Wed night
BillB

Postby BillB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 am

A very informative introduction to M/C first aid at A/C last night. Emphasis was made on stopping bleeding which causes 60% of deaths in M/C accidents due to loss of blood.
Tourniquets were suggested as being part of medical kits that should be carried. Also to stop bleeding where a tourniquet can’t be applied, a means of plugging the wound with blood clotting agents and compression was discussed.
The talk was a introduction to providing first aid and to cover all aspects the organisers suggested members attend the full course that they run. The course presentation, instruction and demonstrations takes 4 hours to go thru and complete.
We will as a committee consider subsidising paying for the course to be provided by the club if there is enough interest from members.
Thanks go to A/C that presented the talk. Jonas mentioned that A/C will attempt to present talks on various topics affecting M/Cs every 6 week for those interested in attending.
Last edited by BillB on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillB

Postby theape » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks to Jonas a great intro into the first aid world for motorcyclists. I am interested if the club is going to put on a course. Thanks Bill.
Alex
theape

Postby reklaw » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm

It's good to see that the club is willing to part with cash to encourage a first aid awareness among members although
there have been similar courses run in Perth that have not been financially supported or encouraged by the club.
I find it rather strange that our committee is now keen to participate because our Lords and Masters at AC are involved.
reklaw

Postby BillB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm

There are 2 categories a 4 hr workshop and a 8 hr certification course. If we get enough interest. They will hold sessions for groups over 6 people and normally the cost is $140 per individual for the 4hr workshop and for the certification course $160 each. If we get enough interest the committee will discuss subsidising members who participate as it is of value to all members to have trained M/C first aid riders amongst us.

If interested let the committee know
BillB

Postby Swampy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:16 pm

I would be interested in the 8 x hour First Aid course or the Fast Aid 4 x hrs. dependent on when they would be held??

Swampy
"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jeweled sea.
Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me."
Swampy

Postby jono » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 pm

reklaw wrote:It's good to see that the club is willing to part with cash to encourage a first aid awareness among members although
there have been similar courses run in Perth that have not been financially supported or encouraged by the club.
I find it rather strange that our committee is now keen to participate because our Lords and Masters at AC are involved.

I would like to head this off before it undermines a good cause. In the past I have advertised MC first aid courses to club members and received no takers. Secondly the idea of financial support has yet to be discussed by the committee and Bill is simply showing some initiative although talking it up as though it has already been put to the committee.
The fact that AC provided a venue and opportunity for riders not just club members to attend the presentation is simply good PR on their behalf but has no influence or bearing on how we as a club may choose to proceed. So as Bill suggests put your name down if you are interested and if there is sufficient interest to organise a course then we can look at how best the club can support it and then let the membership approve or reject the proposal.
jono
Site Admin

Postby reklaw » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:11 pm

I probably won't, already done a very similar course, with riders from all parts of the motorcycling spectrum, and was the only BMW rider/club member in attendance.
These courses are worthwhile and everyone should attend.
reklaw

Postby profoundly_disturbed » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:33 am

jono wrote:
reklaw wrote:It's good to see that the club is willing to part with cash to encourage a first aid awareness among members although

I would like to head this off before it undermines a good cause.

Thank you for the clarification JonO. Ready, fire, aim?
Some people are like Slinkys, you can't help smiling when you push them downstairs.
profoundly_disturbed

Postby profoundly_disturbed » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:34 am

reklaw wrote:I probably won't

Good to know.
Some people are like Slinkys, you can't help smiling when you push them downstairs.
profoundly_disturbed

Postby Kots » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:41 am

Do we remember the scene from the movie, Chopper?

One bloke bleeding all over the floor was giving chopper an ear full.

Chopper said, “at least I’m not the dumb C* - ( I’m not sure what that word was) lyin’ on the floor pissin’ blood everywhere!”

I’m hoping my BMW Club riders will support this so no one is left in that predicament.

I’ll do my part and hope I never need to use the skills we pick up.

I express my interest regardless of who’s paying.

If she’s about I anticipate Alex will too.

Great initiative. I was away on a prearranged trip when the recent event was held.

Kots
Kots

Postby DR63 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Am interested in these courses, was double booked for Wednesday so had to cancel.
DR63

Next

Return to General