The R1250 GS RALLYE ADVENTURE first impressions

Club and BMW related

The R1250 GS RALLYE ADVENTURE first impressions

Postby BillB » Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 pm

A number of people have asked me how did I go with the new bike when I took it out today. Here is what I felt about the first decent ride......
It was a completely different bike from my old R 1200 GSA. It was incredibly powerful and very smooth and once I get used to the numerous electronic adjustments that can be dialled into its computer, will be a lot of fun and a pleasure to ride. I am still unsure about the tyres I decided to put on it though. I spent much time on u-tube watching all the reviews and reading many articles about all the different tyres and what they can and can’t do. The TKC 80s I had on my 2009 R1200 GSA bike were generally rated pretty good off road and ok on road but the consensus was that they just got chopped out on the tar far too quickly due to the knobs flexing and wearing unevenly. Researching ,it seems the ideal tyre off-road/ on road 50/50 tyre was a tyre that had good asphalt wear properties, knobs that didn’t flex too much and channels and grooves that allowed the soft dirt to lock into the tyre as it went over it. This meant that the edges of the knobs had to be deep enough and aligned so that they dug in when the tyre was tracking in a forward direction. When cornering it had to create side forces against the dirt so the tyre didn’t slip sideways and allowed it to track where it was pointing especially in soft dirt and gravel. On the road the tyre needed a good contact with the road and channels designed to remove water to prevent water causing hydroplaning slippage.
Anyway I can tell you it was a hell of a exercise trying to find a tyre that honestly performed like the various company promoters and marketing teams were sprucing their tyres.
I ended up choosing the Metzler Karoo 3 tyres because from what I had researched having analysing their design features and putting into play from what I had gathered as to how the tyre was supposed to function with the laws of physics and engineering. I have had reasonable experience with the Conti TKC 80s and took into account that reviewers had indicated that they performed almost as well as Conti TKC 80s which apart from their dismal longevity were probably the benchmark for a 50/50 Adventure bike tyre. So without the opportunity to personally try them out I had to choose and decide.
Researching indicated, in dirt and on the road they had features that were designed into them to make them point and track effectively in the dirt and had big chunky blocks for less knob flexing ,wide open grooves for gripping the dirt and had reasonable road grip. Their downside was that they were a bit noisy and weren’t as good as the less aggressive 80/20 tyres which generally felt more stable on tar and not as noisy. What put me off other tyres were that testers indicated that many of them , especially front tyres tended to wander and not track where they were supposed to go due to the lack of side support with poor engineering and design of the tyres. Other features.these tyres had lacking was not enough troughs or deep grooves to allow the tyre to dig into the dirt allowing the tyres to slip against the dirt. The reviewers generally didn’t indicate these 80/20 were much chop for off-road use and were a accident waiting to happen as a result.
With my small trial so far today, the Karoo seemed to track , point and grip ok on ball gravel and Rocky hard packed dirt without too much puckering up moments. They weren’t too noisy on tar and I definitely think they will wear better. I didn’t push them laying the bike into corners yet until I have them run in.
BEWARE .... I'm looking at your teeth .....
R1200 GSA 2009, K1200 LT 1999 "insurance w/off", Suzuki DR 650 2012, C650GT "gone" 2018 R 1200 RT
BillB

Re: The R1250 GS RALLYE ADVENTURE first impressions

Postby BillB » Thu May 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Rear tyre hugger has been removed as I feel it’s extra weight on the back suspension and does bugger all by the way of doing anything useful. If people complain about rock roost when travelling behind me then they are riding too close. The one I had on my last GSA fell off up near the Kennedy Ranges when the corrugated road vibrations got to it.
BEWARE .... I'm looking at your teeth .....
R1200 GSA 2009, K1200 LT 1999 "insurance w/off", Suzuki DR 650 2012, C650GT "gone" 2018 R 1200 RT
BillB

Return to General