Bad News and Good News!!

Club and BMW related

Bad News and Good News!!

Postby Swampy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:50 pm

The Bad news is that Steve Nurzo came off his bike about 2 ks out from Wolf Creek Crater riding through deep sand :shock:

The Good news is that he had purchased a new PBL before leaving Perth and he had to use it as he required rescuing as he had broken his collarbone 8)

Fortunately one of his rescuers who last rode a bike 20 years ago rode his BM 150ks back to Halls Creek for him :shock:

Steve is now recuperating at the Halls Creek Caravan Park :roll: :roll: :roll:

He plans to stay there until he is fit enough in 2 to 6 weeks to ride his bike home :cry:

Steve has had a run of unfortunate bad luck over the last few weeks. The first incident was a trial run where he camped out at Paynes Find to have his Mattress deflate on him and found his sleeping bag had somehow shrunk.
He persevered the freezing temp. until 0200 hrs before riding through the night to return home.

The second incident occurred the morning after the Club ride to Karalee Rocks where Steve rode into deep sand and came off with his pannier scraping along his calf which took enough bark off to warrant him to return to Perth for medical treatment!

You would think third time lucky and I guess in some ways he is as he had his new PLB and he is still alive to tell the story but I wonder what his mental state will be in after a couple of weeks in Halls Creek??

Swampy
"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jeweled sea.
Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me."
Swampy

Re: Bad News and Good News!!

Postby Cookie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks for the update Swampy, good to hear he is okay.
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
Cookie

Postby Digger » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:19 am

I’ve been to Halls Creek. If it was me I would’ve ‘broken a bone and rode it home’ rather than stay in that town for an extended time. Hope you heal quickly (very quickly for your sake).
You don't have to have a long neck...to be a goose

My YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/budgetmovies
(Mongrel Dog Productions)
Digger

Postby profoundly_disturbed » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:41 pm

Digger wrote:I’ve been to Halls Creek. If it was me I would’ve ‘broken a bone and rode it home’ rather than stay in that town for an extended time. Hope you heal quickly (very quickly for your sake).

Agree with your sentiment.

Halls Creek and Fitzroy Crossing have one good thing in common, the road leading out of them.

Good luck with the healing and enjoy the free entertainment from the Pub!
Some people are like Slinkys, you can't help smiling when you push them downstairs.
profoundly_disturbed

Postby Swampy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:09 am

Further news on Nurzo's injury!!

I had offered to mount a rescue mission to recover both Steve and his bike from Halls Creek, this would have been at his expense like when I recovered Snaga's bike from Mount Augusta's after his crash a few short years ago!!

However he has declined the offer at the moment as he thinks he may have to undergo further surgery to insert a plate to hold his clavicle in place!!

Swampy
Swampy

Postby Swampy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:49 pm

The latest news of Steve Nurzo's ill fated expedition to the North West is that he is now safely at home! 8)

No plate required!........................ Bike in Broome at the moment until Steve can arrange transport back to Perth!!

So great news that he managed to escape a possible stay in Graylands Hospital after spending time in the Halls Creek Caravan Park but sad to note that he now has to baby sit grand children until he recovers!! :lol:

Swampy
Swampy

Postby Swampy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Further to Steves bike being in Broome!!

Do any club members have a Bike Trailer that Steve could loan as he is looking at different options to recover his bike?

Regards

Swampy
Swampy

Postby Nurzo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 pm

I will be heading back to Broome this coming Friday and riding back to Perth.
Thanks for all your concerns. The gs is so comfortable to ride, its like sitting in a armchair the main issue is staying awake.

Steve
Nurzo

Postby davebeemer1 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:45 am

Are you coming home via Wolf Creek Crater :mrgreen:
davebeemer1

Postby Swampy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:42 pm

Steve, Concerning your bike recovery from the states far North West this coming weekend, I thought I would provide you with alternative options to consider on your long flight to Broome on Friday :|

First option: Broome to Bentley via the inland road which is the fastest route! 2,055.4 Kilometres with a Travel time of 22 Hours and 21 Minutes.

Taking into consideration your comments on the GS Arm Chair Ride and the dangers of possibly falling asleep, I would suggest you should consider adding Substantial Delays to your ETA if that were to occur :shock:

Second Option: Broome to Halls Creek 686.2 Kilometres with 8 Hours and 35 Minutes Travelling Time!!

From Halls Creek to Wolfe Creek Crater 145 Kilometres and 2 to 3 Hours travelling Time!!

Combining both options and on the proviso you actually made it to Wolfe Creek Crater without falling off this time,your total travelling distance would total 3709 Kilometres and your Travelling Time would Total 45 Hours and 21 minutes approx.

I would strongly advise you if you decide to take Option Two, To consider diving to the left on encountering soft sand in order your right shoulder be given the opportunity to repair itself and so as not to further exacerbate the injury!! :mrgreen:

Option Three: Tow a Bike Trailer to Broome to recover your bike 8)

Kind Regards

Swampy
Swampy

Postby Ross Higgins » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:02 pm

Some good options there Swampy :idea: ....option 3 looks good to me. Nurzo take note. :shock:

Obviously you have nothing to do working out all the options :idea: . A ride on Sunday would have given you something to do :shock: , wash Elsy Monday. :roll: ..But, you were missing in action :cry: .
Ross Higgins

Postby Swampy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:24 pm

You will all be relieved to find out as I was today that Steve Nurzo has returned safely from recovering his bike and riding it home from Broome! 8)

He arrived home yesterday and I recommend you ask him to relay his story next Sunday about his Camelbak!! :lol:

Swampy
Swampy

Return to General