Virus avoidance ride

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides

Virus avoidance ride

Postby Swampy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Elsie had sat all week sulking in her now pristine knickers wondering why she was sitting idle and being ignored!!

So I decided this morning that I would let her out for a run in some virus free country :roll: Reckoning that the only stops would be at a servo and a takeaway I should prove to be reasonably virus proof if I took all necessary precautions and care I saddled up and left home!!

Left home at 0700 and did my normal route through Roleystone, Mundaring Weir and The Lakes I cruised through York and Northam and onto the scenic ride to Toodyay without incident apart from coming close to a head on with some d....... with his head up his a... swerving onto my side of the road on the York Northam road leaving me no time and nowhere to go before he/she woke up at the last second and swerved back practically on two wheels to the correct lane again :shock:

Very Scary and reminded me of an incident involving "Ahab" in a similar situation, in his case on a bend with a female driver,which he was extremely fortunate to survive and write about on the Forum some years ago!!

With nerves eventually settled and being hyper sensitive to all approaching vehicles I eventually arrived into a nearly deserted Toodyay and had a brief thought of stopping at the servo for a coffee before deciding to see if the Cola Cafe was open for takeaway?

Parking at front of a now table less and chair less cafe with a table mounted to block access to the counter and inner shop I managed to attract the attention of the owner and his wife at the back of the shop.
Yes they were open for takeaways but like everyone else were in a crisis having to dismiss their staff and tighten their belts and were operating with big financial loss!!

I guess they were more fortunate then some by having a very understanding Bank Manager and Landlord who both had suspended payments for the duration of the crisis
8)
I had quite a long discussion with them both before I took my order of coffee n chips to the park next door and utilized a park bench under a nice shady tree to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Three locals were sitting together on another bench drinking takeaway coffee's and were delighted when the owner took a bowl of hot chips over to them as he had cooked too many for me. I've made friends for life I reckon :P

It was good to get out in the country and to breathe some fresh air and the temp. was quite pleasant early but by the time I left Toodyay for home it was warming up quite substantially.

Good ride home with very quiet roads but surprised at the amount of caravans still travelling around. Temp as indicated on the bike hit 38C as I cruised back down the hills through Roleystone and home!!

My local servo claims business was down with breaks up to half an hour between vehicles at times!!

Home at 1230pm with Elsie now cooling her oil in the garage with her needs and mine now satisfied and virus free 8)

Swampy
"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jeweled sea.
Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me."
Swampy

Re: Virus avoidance ride

Postby davebeemer1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:14 am

Good to see you getting out and about and thanks for sharing. I'm taking the seat from the bike in today to get it gel lined, a fellow in O'Conner will have it finished in a couple of days. Can't wait to see what it's like as I rode a mates Triumph 1050 Triumph with a factory fitted gel lined seat and was very impressed with it. Will put the other seat on so I can still have fun.
davebeemer1

Return to Rides