Red Light Tour

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides

Red Light Tour

Postby Bozo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:59 pm

The forecast of 37 degrees seemed to induce a lethargy amongst club members with a slow assembly of motorcyclists at Catalano's.

Most of the Yealering Lake Paddle Club turned up. European history was a keenly discussed topic.

Five riders took up the offer of some twisty loops through the Darling Scarp. The group came to a long stop on Welshpool Road at the train tracks. A crew was working in a nearby hut but still the traffic lights remained red. The traffic started to drive through the red light realising there was a problem. The front part of the group followed with the lights going to flashing amber by the time Swampy had negotiated the intersection.

The next set of traffic lights was also malfunctioning with three cycles keeping the group waiting on red.

Mackerel Eddie, Wes, German Paul, Swampy and Bozo headed to Mills Road East for a slow ascent behind two slow moving hatchbacks which fortunately turned off at Canning Mills Road. Now free of traffic the group travelled through the excellent bends to Canning Road. A trail bike rider came around one corner on the wrong side of the road and proceeded to the road shoulder missing Bozo by a metre. A pleasant run through the back of the Bickley Valley along Patterson Road and Walnut Road with the temperature dropping to a pleasant 23.5 degrees. Another speeding motorcyclist carved his way through the group on Mundaring Weir Road.

A further red light impacted the group from road works on Mundaring Weir Road. The temperature remained around 24 degrees on the shaded roads through Stoneville to Toodyay Road. A loop up Reen Road and back on Reserve Road got the group to Gidgegannup and a stop at the Bakery. The Shell Service Station was up and running.

Very entertaining discussion involving wigs, avocados, beards and anatomy.

Leaving the Bakery and heading along Bunning Road the temperature was still a pleasant 28 degrees. The group split at Mundaring and the temperature rose rapidly to 34 degrees on the coastal plain.

A short ride today to avoid the heat but still enjoyable despite an extra 15 minutes at three red lights.

Thanks to Swampy for doing Tail End Charlie duties.

Bozo
Bozo

Re: Red Light Tour

Postby KoosWA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 am

You had me worried for a moment there with the topic heading....
KoosWA

Postby Bozo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 am

Koos

We put the mockers on the ride by talking about traffic light timing at Catalano's before heading off.

It was frustrating sitting in the traffic with no trains, no side traffic and the lights remaining red. Some thing was clearly wrong with men in helmets (not us) rushing in and out of a communications hut near the faulty lights. The car in front of me filtered between two cars at the front that refused to budge (possibly because it was double demerit points and a red light camera intersection) with a margin of millimetres. We then got all greens down Welshpool Road only to be stranded at Orrong Road as we watched in disbelief with four bikes parked on the sensors and the lights going through multiple cycles allowing three sequences for turning traffic off Orrong Road but not letting us move.

We get to Mundaring Weir Road and one lane is shut and has a trailer mounted traffic light system to manage traffic.

More red light time on the ride than Hay Street Kalgoorlie on a Friday night and no where near as entertaining.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby Swampy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 am

Bozo wrote:Koos

More red light time on the ride than Hay Street Kalgoorlie on a Friday night and no where near as entertaining.

Bozo

I guess we will have to take your word for that Bozo but have you ever tried Lovers Lane in Toodyay mate???? :lol:
"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jeweled sea.
Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me."
Swampy

Postby Bozo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Kim, Wes, Sleepy Paul, Bozo, GS Bill and Trish headed into hayfever central this morning weaving through the Bickley Valley and Mundaring Weir to Stoneville.

Kim needed pollen medication and peeled off at Stoneville. The rest of the group battled cyclists and Sunday Drivers to pass Noble Falls before diverting onto the slippery surface of Lovers Lane. Pies upstairs at the Bakery at Toodyay before winding back to Mundaring.

Swampy...yes, August 2015, with the above group less Kim. There had been a lot of rain. More recently another group almost agreed but there was one protester.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby KoosWA » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Bozo wrote:.... a trailer mounted traffic light system to manage traffic.

Looks like the Liberals have the future WA all sorted then ahead of the election.....
KoosWA

Postby wightman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Koos, now that you've brought politics into this hallowed sanctity, I've got a brilliant idea for a NSW political party. It should be called the "get rid of the daylight savings party" You could be the head and Jamie could be the deputy. We've survived 200 years without daylight savings in W.A. and we're doing well. We've got to get our priorities right.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-01/d ... um/7983710
wightman

Postby Swampy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:40 pm

wightman wrote:Koos, now that you've brought politics into this hallowed sanctity, I've got a brilliant idea for a NSW political party. It should be called the "get rid of the daylight savings party" You could be the head and Jamie could be the deputy. We've survived 200 years without daylight savings in W.A. and we're doing well. We've got to get our priorities right.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-01/d ... um/7983710

HEAR HEAR JOHN!!

Swampy
"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jeweled sea.
Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me."
Swampy

Return to Rides