Bozo Across Australia

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides

Re: Bozo Across Australia

Postby Bozo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Did my Sunday ride in South Australia from Coober Pedy to Port Lincoln. It was stunning leaving Coober Pedy with the rising sun highlighting the mounds of mined earth and nobody but me and the sun on the road. It took 30 kms before I saw my first vehicle and I tracked it from 5 Kms away as it appeared on the skyline on a plain with vegetation no higher than half a metre.

Mostly sunny day with no rain. Only spotted two other motorcycles.
Only emus and eagles today......have not sighted a kangaroo in SA yet.

Hope someone organised a ride in WA.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby wightman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Bozo, you enter that pantheon of greatness, along with Sir David Livingstone and Sir David Bennett. As having slept in the same room as you, two years ago, this wonderful story immediately spring to mind. "In the footsteps of Jurgen Schultz"
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... fIfVxtuqRQ
wightman

Postby Bozo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Wightman
You draw a long bow but I did feel like an explorer when I came across a photographer at the Breakaways in a land rover who replied to my greeting with "the English is not good for me...I am French". My explanation in French of what a wild dog fence was had him shrug his shoulders and return to his viewfinder.
Bozo
Bozo

Postby Bozo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Had an easy day today with incursions off the Flinders Highway to the coast.

Started with a trip down Proper Bay Road to Sleaford Mere and Sleaford Bay to a stunning coastline.

Today was "Swampy" related with 10 sightings of emus and one kangaroo. After the scenic Winter Hill Lookout I travelled past Little Swamp and Big Swamp along Sheoak lined roads to get to Coffin Bay. Travelled through the National Park to the amazing coastline and islands around Avoid Point.

An easy run up to Streaky Bay for the mandatory stop at Elliot's Bakery. Clear sky with temperatures in the twenties. Pretty nice day.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby Cookie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello Bozo

Another exciting day in the office - -- - how ever, nothing compared to your days on the bike :) you are making me jealous...

Keep up the good work.
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
TY175
Cookie

Postby Bozo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 pm

A 900 km day today in getting from Streaky Bay to Cocklebiddy with a few excursions.
At least there were three motorcycles amongst the plethora of trucks and caravans.

Left Streaky Bay in the dark and rain to try to minimise later precipitation. The sky cleared around Nundroo with fog just east of Border Village. Ran into a stock carrier at Nullarbor Roadhouse taking Merredin sheep to Victoria...a 3000 km trip on the back of a truck. They looked surprisingly calm 1700 km into their journey.

Massive numbers of dead Roos around Madura and Diggers heat treated wine was long gone with just ash and stray mesh remaining.

Got to Cocklebiddy in time to visit the cave on an unsigned partly muddy road. I had seen a documentary on the fossils found and the massive extent of limestone caverns. The opening looked like a hole in a featureless landscape. Having travelled to the site I can confirm that impression. The cave entrance is now locked so I was unable to do the dive I missed out on in Port Lincoln.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby Bozo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Glorious run to Kalgoorlie today after a cold start (it was three degrees just before I got to Caiguna). Left at sunrise and passed some impressive wedgies feeding on road kill. Stopped at the Balladonia Telegraph Station that still has a few of the old poles leading in and out.
Went out to Lake Perkollili which wet last time I went there. Was able to do a lap on the lake. Overnight in Kalgoorlie and was able to fix a blown low beam globe, the second in less than three months. It lasted around 17,000 kms. It only takes a few minutes to fix as unlike my old GS and the RTs you can see the fastening clips.

Today I saw more motorcycles on the Nullarbor than I have seen on the way back with five heading east.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby Bozo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Safely back in Perth after travelling 19,700 kms in three stages.

Got back to Perth today without getting wet.... almost 2,000 kms of riding from Nundroo to Perth without rain.

Travelled from Kalgoorlie to Southern Cross accompanied by a Police vehicle and decided to head to Bullfinch. Stopped at Halfway Rocks then at Warrachuppin Rock. Climbed the rock which has interesting erosion formations and a great view over the surrounding farmland. Headed to Bencubbin via Mukinbudin then to Trayning, Wyalkatchem, Dowerin, Goomalling, Toodyay and home.

The crops around Muntadgin and Bencubbin looked poor. Even some of the canola between Toodyay and Goomalling was patchy. The canola is just starting to flower.

Not too many incidents or problems for a lengthy trip.

I will need to organise a photo hosting service to put up some pics.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby BillB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:47 pm

Bozo wrote:
I will need to organise a photo hosting service to put up some pics.

Bozo

Photo bucket want $400 per annum to continue placing embedded pictures into 3rd party sites. It used o be free. :cry:
BEWARE .... I'm looking at your teeth .....
R1200 GSA 2009, K1200 LT 1999, Suzuki DR 650 2012, C650GT 2016
BillB

Postby spacey1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Bozo in Speed, Western Victoria

Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Bozo in Woomera SA

Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby Bozo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Nev

Thanks for posting the photos....I have still not resolved the Photobucket issue.

I was happy to reach the limits of Speed as parts of the Sunraysia Highway were very boring. The roads are so straight and the country so flat that you see the next town's grain silo as you leave each town.

I was also interested to see if there were dealers in Speed or just merchants. I expected to break some sort of barrier as I passed through. The people of Speed (population 45) wanted to change the towns name to "Speedkills" in 2011 and mounted a Facebook campaign which attracted 32,000 likes. The town's name was changed for a month and there is still a large "Speedkills" sign near the BP service station.

Bozo
Bozo

Postby spacey1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Glad to help out Boz :P

I must admit, we didn't venture into Speed on the way through the last trip over there.

Kept thinking: Do I speed? Is it OK to speed in Speed? Love to speed 8) , but I'm sure it's a trap :shock:
spacey1

Postby Bozo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:28 pm

My trip photos got caught up in the third party hosting debacle for Photobucket.

I now have another host so will start posting photos in small batches.

Room underground at Coober Pedy (they would not let me bring the bike in)

Coober Pedy Entry Statement

Bozo
Bozo

Postby Bozo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Woomera has got a great display of all things rocket related in the centre of town. I stayed at Roxby Downs which has a lot more facilities.

The opal mining town of Andamooka is just down the road from Roxby Downs and the hills just out of town overlook Lake Torrens. It is much smaller than Coober Pedy.

Bozo
Bozo

PreviousNext

Return to Rides