Not to be undone...Digger Across Australia

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides
Bozo
Junk Test: No
Enter the middle number (7726): 7726

Re: Not to be undone...Digger Across Australia

Post by Bozo »

The response to Eyre walking across the Nullarbor included reference to him forgetting to take his BMW GS.

The GS was not invented in 1840 and Eyre was limited to an primitive form of two wheel motorised device which became known as the Eyre-head.

The early motorcycle had wooden wheels and a wooden frame made from Baltic pine and much to the explorers horror the Australian termites reduced both to dust in a single night.

The replacement vehicle was parked up each night on a sheet of corrugated iron giving rise to the expression "driving on corrugations".

The fuel for the motorcycle was a blend of OP rum, eucalyptus oil and distilled emu fat. The carburettor was a simple drip arrangement. The machine ran much faster on spirits giving rise to the expression "spirited riding". The emu fat used to block the drip system and a piece of fencing wire was used to clear the orifice giving rise to the phrase "riding by wire".

The machine was belt driven but this used to regularly slip off. It was found that by using an outer belt fashioned from Police and Fireman braces that the belt remained on giving rise to the expression "belt and braces".

Bozo
Digger

Post by Digger »

Bozo wrote:Digger reports that one of his old mates walked from Sydney to Perth
The documentary evidence differs slightly from Digger's report [/i]
Thanks for setting the record straight...the last thing I want to do is represent history incorrectly. Thanks for righting the wrong.
Between you and I, we will take the armchair Adventurers on a ride they would not ordinarily experience and educate them in all things Australiana.
I thank you; and I'm sure they thank you.
You don't have to have a long neck...to be a goose

My YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/budgetmovies
(Mongrel Dog Productions)
Digger

Post by Digger »

Stayed for 2 nights at Wilpena Pound and climbed Mount Ohlssen Bagge one morning...a 6.5km 4 hour round trip similar to Bluff Knoll in the Stirling Ranges. The best views of the 'Pound' are from the top of these climbs because the campgrounds are actually on the outside of the actual 'Pound'.

Aboriginal rock engraving (as opposed to 'art') in Sacred Gorge in the Flinders.

Arkaroola from the air. Almost like an Alpine village but without the Alpine. Originally surveyed for Uranium mining but bought privately to prevent mining going ahead (Bozo...step in anytime to ensure details are factually correct).

My YouTube Channel
Digger

Post by Digger »

Unlike Bozo's epic trip across the continent and his visit to the Flinders when it was sodden, we have not experienced any rain at all. Where his bike was covered in mud, ours have been covered in dust. All the roads throughout the region are open for business.

Regrettably, my ride may be over...as we came outta the Flinders I noticed the front shockie leaking oil. I've slabbed it to Adelaide to have the bike inspected and repaired...didn't want to risk it on the Great Central Road. If it can be turned around quickly I will try and rejoin the others at Alice or Uluru.

SPOT Link is here;
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... UCtYLNPufa

My YouTube Channel
Bozo

Post by Bozo »

Digger
Sorry to hear about the suspension issue and hope that it can be speedily fixed.

The Flinders Ranges are very special and would be ruined with much more bitumen.

If there is any place in Australia that GS riders should see soon it is the area from Hawker to Arkaroola.

Bozo
Digger

Post by Digger »

Bozo wrote:Digger
If there is any place in Australia that GS riders should see soon it is the area from Hawker to Arkaroola.
Bozo
Last years GS Enduro stayed two nights at Arkaroola and spent one day doing a couple of loops in the roads and tracks around the area. Most of the riders (about 190 (??)) would agree it is a special place.

My YouTube Channel
goodguy

Post by goodguy »

All very interesting.
profoundly_disturbed

Post by profoundly_disturbed »

Digger wrote:
Bozo wrote:Digger
Bozo
Last years GS Enduro stayed two nights at Arkaroola and spent one day doing a couple of loops in the roads and tracks around the area. Most of the riders (about 190 (??)) would agree it is a special place.
Couldn't agree more. The BMW Safari has taken me to places I never would have seen otherwise. Arkaroola rates among one of the best places I've been - just stunning.
Some people are like Slinkys, you can't help smiling when you push them downstairs.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Tonight, I'm eating something that does not come in a can, and drinking something that does.
I'm returning to Perth via the Nullarbor as there is no shockie available in Australia. Hard to believe...you would think we were in a third world country. I guess if I change my name to Ewan McGregor or Charlie Boorman then things might be different. The bike will get me home and then it is a matter of waiting for a shockie to arrive from Germany.
SPOT Link is not here;

See you at the AGM.
Back to work Slackers.
:P

My YouTube Channel
Kots

Post by Kots »

Get a lambswool seat cover from a place that does them out near Parafield and have a smooth ride home.
profoundly_disturbed

Post by profoundly_disturbed »

Digger wrote: I'm returning to Perth via the Nullarbor as there is no shockie available in Australia. Hard to believe...you would think we were in a third world country.
Did you happen to notice the number of your post Digger?
Some people are like Slinkys, you can't help smiling when you push them downstairs.
Digger

Post by Digger »

Kots wrote:Get a lambswool seat cover from a place that does them out near Parafield and have a smooth ride home.
I've already got the lambswool cover...first farkle I bought for the bike. It helps and probably makes a difference but still a long way to sit in the same position. I'll set the cruise control and enjoy the scenery along the way.

My YouTube Channel
Digger

Post by Digger »

[quote="profoundly_disturbed"][quote="Digger"]

Did you happen to notice the number of your post Digger?[/quote,,]
?????
Was it 666?
I don't pay a lot of attention to the stats. I'm not superstitious. I'm not anything. I don't even have a religion.

My YouTube Channel
spacey1

Post by spacey1 »

Loving yer drone pix, digger :P and of course your standard (high quality, that is) still photos.

Keep up the the adventure reporting for all us couch-riders.

If you were Ewan and Co, your new LC GSA would be on a flight to the Fatherland.

Maybe you should hit up Touratech/AltRider/etc for some sponsorship. You know, you identify the piss poor design parts, they make decent quality items and sell 'em. Perfect symbiotic relationship!
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

That's an unfortunate end to what looked like a great trip Steve.

You have unfinished business now and once the bike is repaired you will have to do the trip again. If you have the time that is :lol: :lol:

I'm going back to work.