Travel to Nannup

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides

Travel to Nannup

Postby Bozo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 pm

I had an extra day so travelled to Nannup via Margaret River.

On the way down I explored different connecting roads such as Orton Road and Soldiers Road before heading through Dwellingup and taking Nanga Road/Nanga Brook Road. The Safari video stated that WA gravel roads are laser level with a sprinkling of ball bearings. I took the gravel section of Nanga Road to Willowdale Road and the first part was as corrugated as I remember it. Willowdale Road was being graded and apart from having to deal with a 250 mm mound of fine material it was great. The sealed section of Willowdale Road where it drops down to the South West Highway was a great bike road. I took Henty Road and Lennard Road up to Catalano Road before doubling back and running through the Ferguson Valley to Lowden. The Donnybrook -Capel Road got me to the Bussell Highway where I headed to Dunsborough taking Commonage Road and Wildwood Road to get to Caves Road. At the Boranup Forrest I took the Boranup Drive to get to the Boranup Lookout. This is an amazing drive with only the odd rock or sandy section.

Boranup Drive

A quick run up Redgate Road and Stevens Road got me to a winery just before closing.

The next day I rode to Contos Beach and Cape Freycinet before heading to Augusta for breakfast at the Bakery of course. The town was full of cyclists and kayakers for an adventure event
Leeuwin Lighthouse

I headed up Kudardup Road and Glenarty Road as it had been years since I had been on these. Not a bad bitumen riding road but bumpy in spots. A short stint on the Brockman Highway and then onto the Warner Glen Road for a loop back on to the Bussell Highway. A coffee at the White Elephant and wine tasting at Cape Mentelle and I was ready to take a round about ride to catch up with the Perth Group.

Out by Rosa Brook Road and Mowen Road to Sues Road to turn off on Jalbarragup Road. Digger had spent a bit of time in this location on the GS Safari but it seems it was just the start of the gravel after the sealed section out of Busselton. I was rewarded with a close encounter with a large male emu and ten chicks the size of chooks. I took the bitumen of Jalbarragup Road to Glen Acton Road to get to Ruabon and then headed straight into Nannup. After checking into the hotel I took a loop on Gold Gully Road and East Nannup Road before riding the excellent Nannup-Bridgetown section of the Brockman Highway. Stopping at the Bridgetown Bakery I discovered that the no name rally was on so I headed out to Tweed Road to the event campsite. It was still early on with less than 20 tents unpacked and assembled.

Returning to Bridgetown to get fuel I ran into the Perth mob and rode with them back to Nannup.

Vey enjoyable rediscovering roads and riding new roads.

Bozo
Bozo

Re: Travel to Nannup

Postby Bozo » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 pm

Boranup Lookout

On Boranup Drive I checked out a few side roads. Some were very sandy and some were still wet.

Vlam Road off Boranup Drive

Bozo
Bozo

Return to Rides