Fundraiser in Norseman

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides

Fundraiser in Norseman

Postby bmwlefty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:53 am

Brian (Beetle) Bayley is involved in Pams MCRide raising funds for Guide Dogs, and will be holding a combined Get-Together/60th Birthday/Winifred Wells Australia Crossing Celebration on
Saturday 20th January 2018. In Norseman
It will be a decent ride for a good cause
Beetle has asked me to write and perform a song in Honour of Winifred Wells epic return crossing of Australia on a Royal Enfield 350 Bullet in 1950/51
I will be performing that song, and a 'few' others, but don't let that scare you off.
bmwlefty

Re: Fundraiser in Norseman

Postby Bozo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Lefty

Very sensible woman, Winifred, marrying an engineer, Donald Edward Beveridge. Possibly because her dad, George Fernan Wells was also an engineer.

Winifred Alison Wells was born in Perth in 1928 and after doing the Perth Sydney return trip travelled 10,000 miles around Australia reaching Perth on November 26, 1952. Her lap of Australia with her father George, took 9 weeks. The worst part was traversing the Pardoo sands where she dropped her bike every few miles.

I am not sure whether she is still living or not with her last address being in Victoria...has she been invited to Norseman? Have any of her mother's family (Joyce Wilson Pike) been invited as there seem to be a few living in WA.

Lefty what is the title of the song? "I would ride 10,000 miles"?

Bozo
Bozo

Re: Fundraiser in Norseman

Postby bmwlefty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi Bozo,
Last I heard she was still alive, and living in Tasmania, quite chuffed that her exploits are still dicussed.
I don't know if any of her Family have been contacted.

No, that isn't the title of the song, but it has given me a few ideas.(Some of them, even about music ) :lol:
bmwlefty

Return to Rides