Desert Raid - Empress Springs: August 7, 2019

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides
Digger

Desert Raid - Empress Springs: August 7, 2019

Post by Digger »

Here we go again...the last one nearly killed me!

A small group of us are going for a ride... with an open invite for any like-minded adventure riders to meet up there.

As per previous Desert Raid gatherings, you need to be self sufficient as nothing is provided. Do your own research on track conditions and make your own decision if you have the skills/preparation to undertake the ride.

At this stage, we're going to camp at Empress Springs, 60km North of Great Central Road on the Eagle Highway/David Carnegie Road.

The nearest fuel is available at Tjukayirla Roadhouse which is approx 75kms due South of the camp on Great Central Road.

The Border Run (Eucla) is on 3 Aug - off roaders can make it a loop ride if they've got the time.
:P
You don't have to have a long neck...to be a goose

My YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/budgetmovies
(Mongrel Dog Productions)
paulknight
Junk Test: No
Enter the middle number (7726): 7726

Re: Desert Raid 2019 - 7 Aug 2019 - Empress Springs

Post by paulknight »

Hey Digger
Is this really for 2019 or are you just trying to see if we read things on the site.
Could it be 2018 ???
Digger

Post by Digger »

paulknight wrote:Hey Digger
Is this really for 2019 or are you just trying to see if we read things on the site.
Could it be 2018 ???
No misprint here...Desert Raid is every second year to offset the Off Centre Rally (OCR) which is also held every second year....they alternate.

7 August 2019!!!!

My YouTube Channel
Raider

Post by Raider »

The 2019 Empress Springs destination is an excellent choice for the ten (10) year anniversary Desert Raid.

The term "RAID" in Desert Raid was “borrowed” after seeing a 2CV RAID underway on the "Tojo" Highway a couple hundred kilometres northeast of Kalgoorlie. I thought I was on my own on a remote track in my Landcruiser when out of no-where came a dozen Citroen 2CV’s on a RAID.

Amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzeL9lciSQI&vl=en

Raider

KoosWA

Re: Desert Raid - Empress Springs - 7 August 2019

Post by KoosWA »

Planning has commenced from Brissy....
jls

Post by jls »

and SYYdnnney as well
koos we should go for a ride :mrgreen:
KoosWA

Post by KoosWA »

jls wrote:and SYYdnnney as well
koos we should go for a ride :mrgreen:
Eastern Chapters reunion ride?
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

I am planning to be there.

I will go via Border first, see my 'Desert RAID via Border' post at http://forum.bmwmccwa.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3752.
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
R75/6
Raider

Post by Raider »

Gents,

So, all we need now is Uber delivery of fish & chips (and cold beer) to Empress Springs and we will have to change the venue!

"A further 26 mobile communication black spots will be eliminated in WA, following a $14.6 million investment to improve coverage in regional areas as part of round four of the Federal Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program.

Federal Regional Services Minister Bridget McKenzie announced the locations today, which include Arrowsmith East, Ngurrawaana, Tampu and at the Tjukayirla Roadhouse.

Telstra will build 23 and Optus will build three of the towers." In The West Australian 23 March 2019...

Raider
_Wilks

Post by _Wilks »

Cold beer would be a winner.

I knew the technology walls were closing in when a certain club member began videoing his mc excursions in the last 12 months or so. I've even noticed a GPS on his latest bike(s). What's the world coming to I thought - not him, never. Glad he did though because his videos are a entertaining... I've even subscribed to his Youtube channel so not to miss a thing :)

Raider... I've got the 2021 location picked. Verrry remote yet shouldn't be difficult riding (relatively). Lots of kms to get there... and no, it's not the Kimberley. You, me and Digger need to chat over brunch (again) one fine day soon.
Digger

Post by Digger »

_Wilks wrote:... I've got the 2021 location picked. Verrry remote yet shouldn't be difficult riding (relatively). Lots of kms to get there... and no, it's not the Kimberley. You, me and Digger need to chat over brunch (again) one fine day soon.
I am doing the CSR (4WD) later this year and was going to sus out a particular site. Maybe we are thinking of the same one. I’ll contact you guys before June to discuss in case you want me to check out other possible locations.

My YouTube Channel
bwanainoz
Enter the middle number (7726): 9781

Post by bwanainoz »

Link for permits to travel Great Central Road and other roads in the Tjukaruru area.

https://www.outbackway.org.au/plan-your-trip/permits/
Raider

Post by Raider »

Wilks wrote:
... I've got the 2021 location picked. Verrry remote yet shouldn't be difficult riding (relatively). Lots of kms to get there... and no, it's not the Kimberley. You, me and Digger need to chat over brunch (again) one fine day soon.
Wilks,

Don't forget poor old Chris - for that IS his name. He was there at the camp fire near Dimals when Desert Raid was conceived... Chris & Digger look like they will shortly be spending quite some time together crossing deserts in 4x4's. See what they come up with and at that time we can finalise the 2021 venue.

Regards,

Raider
SpyvsSpy

Post by SpyvsSpy »

I am leaving 4th to Westonia and tracks thru to Menzies if anyone is interested.
KoosWA

Post by KoosWA »

KoosWA wrote:Planning has commenced from Brissy....

Not happening...project in Indo till mid December. Looked at the distances and considered doing the Raid and returning to Alice, storing the bike and then flying back for later return. Too hard, too long, too expensive. Will do a week ride in Northern NSW / QLD. Lots to see and get lost in.

There's always 2021....

Have fun.