CanBus and GSA fog lights

How to; Why did it do that?; What do I do now!...

CanBus and GSA fog lights

Postby spacey1 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi Techies,

QUESTION: How sensitive is the CanBus to seeing less that expected wattage at a globe?

JayCar have a range of LED driving lamps for extraordinary low prices.

Each is available in flood or spot.

From the specs:

1. 4" - 25 w 2A 12V 1733 lumens = 200w halogen brightness
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL3930

2. 5" - 34w 2.8A 12V 3400 lumens = 300w halogen brightness
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL3918

3. 6.5" - 80w 6.6A 12V 6300 lumens = 500w halogen brightness:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL3922

4. Standard BMW Fog light H11 / 55w 4.6A 12V

QUESTION: How sensitive is the CanBus to seeing less that expected wattage at a globe?

I know that when I put in a LED front park light, the CanBus threw a 'LampF' error on the dash which wouldn't go away until it was removed.

I accept that the 6.5" LEDs are going to go over the top unless I install a relay and power off the battery (which I would like to avoid).

Any clues to how the CanBus will respond to lower wattage LED driving/fog lamps.

Possibilities:
2x 25w < 2x 55w

4x 25w < 2x 55w (2x floods + 2x spots)

2x 34w < 2x 55w

Less current draw = better fuel consumption of course.

If you have to insert a resistor to match the expected current draw, it's a moot point really...
Would really like to plug into the standard system.

Ta
nev
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Re: CanBus and GSA fog lights

Postby Bozo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:35 am

The GSA has a separate fuse and relay for fog lights located behind the ECU. I suspect there is a good reason for this.

Davey Sprocket had a lot of grief with his enhanced light setting on his 2008 GS (the ex Bully Steel Pig). The problematic farkling I think was down to relay problem. He might be worth talking to.
Bozo

Postby spacey1 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks Boz,

We're making up a load rail to check where the limits are...

But will talk to Davey. I know Cookie was involved with setting up the Sprocket GS.
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby jono » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Nev

I run the led park light and HID high beam no problem with 1200GSA CanBus
The park light installation did cause the lampF error but off / on of the ignition and all was well!

Cheers
JonO
jono
Site Admin

Postby spacey1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:48 pm

OK, finally got around to adding LED lamps to the front of my GSA.

The LEDs make great DRLs. It's quite obvious that traffic knows that I'm there.

The standard BMW plastic lamps both cracked at the mounting hanger.

JayCar have these small LED lamps that actually fit inside the crash protection bars on the GSA.

I made a couple of small T-shaped steel tabs out of 1/8" bar and drilled a hole into the standard lamp hanger.

Top pair are spot beams whilst the lower pair are flood beams and are pointed outwards to the side.

These LEDs draw, in total, less current than one of the standard BMW lamps. And the CanBus has not complained.

I have asked numerous club members about their brightness during the day.

The feedback I'm getting is suggesting that the lamps are not blinding, but extremely visible in broad daylight.

The mounting and the LEDs survived the dirt roads to the Kennedy Ranges and back, and the heavy rain of the last month or so.

spacey1

Return to Technical