Next Tuning Day Sat 23rd July at 12:00

How to; Why did it do that?; What do I do now!...

Next Tuning Day Sat 23rd July at 12:00

Postby theape » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Fellow members, Ok its on,
with all the riding planned in August , it must be time to fiddle with some farkles on your fine machine.

Come along and enjoy tinkering on your bike with your like-minded club members.
If you want to fix , but are hesitant , this is your chance to learn from others and improve your skills, there is nothing like fixing it yourself when you don't even have to call a friend, they are right beside you every step of the way! If there is a failure we live on a major bus route..

Plenty of food, beverages for all tastes including the club coffee machine.
The weather is probably going to be ok, so why don't you turn up, even if you just sit and chew the fat with others. If you are thinking of doing something special (to your bike), please call me and we will attempt to sort it into the mix wherever possible.
Details are on the club members only forum.

Alex
theape

Re: Next Tuning Day Sat 23rd July at 12:00

Postby Cookie » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Hello Alex

I plan to be there, it is amazing what happens when you leave a big black RT and small red GS alone in the shed for a few months, I will be there on a small red bike.
Potentially fitting new chain and sprockets :)
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
TY175
Cookie

Postby spacey1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:55 pm

Hi Cookie,

It would appear that you've got a young one there... The stubble, err, knobby tyres haven't sprouted yet... but rest assured the hair, err, knobbies, will grow as the little beastie gets a little older :lol:

These little beasties are not that sporty - understatement - but with a decent set of knobbies, first and second gear will get you almost anywhere...

This is how I know... my first motorcycle ride in a couple of months :P

Ya gotta start somewhere. I was eventually upgraded to the 450 EXC. After a short time, I could almost keep up to JD on the postie :lol:

Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby Cookie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 am

Hello Nev
Yes, a 2008 model, I have ordered a 16 tooth front sprocket- my first ride in months was a little slower than anticipated :x
It is now sporting a red plastic crate and stickers, so top end speed should improve.....
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
TY175
Cookie

Postby BillB » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 pm

Cookie from my experience with these beasties( Brisbane to Alice Springs across the desert 2006, ) make sure you get a lambs wool seat cover. Your bum gets real sore sitting on these things over distance. The sheepskin cover helps but won't stop all the pain. Also take some dencorub for sore forearms. Hanging on to he bars is also hard work on the forearm muscles. At the end of the day they get so painful it makes riding very uncomfortable. The exhaust gets a bit hot on your leg so keep that in mind especially when you drop the bike and you get your leg caught under the bike. We had enough people with quite severe burns to their leg due to the hotexhaust pipes.
Tank slappers are easily caused by decelerating and putting too much weight on the front wheel in sand. The tyre has to get lift from speed ( about 65-70 ks ) and not allowed to dig in. We had quite a few aero-medical evacuations due to high sided tank slappers in sand with broken legs ribs, arms clavicles and one rider had a ruptured spleen.
Also be careful of running over large rooks that sit under the sand. They make a mess of your rims causing punctures. We had quite a few of these.
The chains on our bikes needed tightening fairly regularly. The oil needs to be checked daily.
Hope this gives you some things to keep in mind.
Have a great safe trip
BEWARE .... I'm looking at your teeth .....
R1200 GSA 2009, K1200 LT 1999, Suzuki DR 650 2012, C650GT 2016
BillB

Postby Cookie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:34 am

Thanks Bill

Duly noted, we will not be going over much dirt but I am assured it will be a scenic route.

See you at tuning day, this afternoon, I will be there on my Postie Bike :)
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
TY175
Cookie

Postby jls » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:02 pm

A great day a big thanks to the powers to be for sorting out the carb sinc in the higher range :wink:
jls

Next tuning day

Postby Hermann » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 pm

Hi Alex, please let me know when the next tuning day is likely to happen. I would like to check the valve clearance on my 2008 GS and/or use the diagnostic tool to check cylinder balance etc. if possible. Just want to make sure everything is in order.
I'm heading north again for a few weeks but hopefully the tuning day will coincide with a date when I'm home next time as I have been travelling a bit this year and consequently missed opportunities to attend.
Thanks and regards, Hermann
Hermann

Postby spacey1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi Hermann,

Bet you're happy to be orf the postie bike :P

Re: Tuning of your GS.

The valve clearances must be checked on a cold engine first, before the throttle body sync.

So you can't ride it to a tuning day, and then check the valve clearances on a hot engine.

Have a look at the tuning article I wrote some time back.

http://forum.bmwmccwa.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2562

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Once your tappets are good, throttle body sync is easy.

spacey... out
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby Hermann » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:24 am

As it happened I was still travelling and missed the October tuning day. So, down the track I'd like to have the balance checked. Thanks for all the info on how this job is done and required pre work which all makes sense.
I checked/adjusted valves yesterday and replaced all four spark plugs.
I'll keep an eye out for the next tuning day.
Hermann

Return to Technical