Elsie shafted by a Corroded Drive shaft

How to; Why did it do that?; What do I do now!...
Swampy
Junk Test: No
Enter the middle number (7726): 7726

Elsie shafted by a Corroded Drive shaft

Post by Swampy »

Poor Elsie, I have now clocked up 9,000ks since I picked her up from Auto Classic a few months ago and she was due her 40.000k service and I was quoted $695 from our erstwhile state dealer for a major service:shock:

However after mentioning this to Steve Nurzo he promptly stepped up to the plate and offered to do the service for me.

Took Elsie around his place on Tuesday and Elsie had her oil filter and oil replaced with a premium quality filter and oil without any issues.

Steve tested my brake fluid in both my front and rear reservoirs and discovered the fluid contained around 80% water contamination. So both brakes were bled and were topped up with new fluid.

Steve then decided to change my dif oil and when drained appeared to be severely contaminated with water. Now this is not part service schedules as listed in the service book so I would not have been aware of this situation if Auto Classic had conducted the service

When the drive shaft assembly was disconnected the drive shaft was found to be severely corroded with rust with traces of water still evident in the housing.

Obviously the previous owner had drowned poor Elsie in a creek or two out in the goldfields and had not drained the oil and checked it afterwards for any contamination!!

Please note that Auto Classic had informed me that Elsie had been serviced and thoroughly checked over before i purchased her :roll:

Steve did his best to clean the corrosion off and greased up the splines but was not happy with the resultant condition and informed me that I could expect a major catastrophe somewhere down the track due to the damage to the splines.

A replacement drive shaft was sourced today off a wrecked 2016 GS on sale in Victoria for $500 including postage which should arrive in a couple of weeks.

Great work by Steve, I will be forever grateful to him for being so professional and particular in his work.

His newly designed self manufactured and machined tuning tools were also bought into play with Elsie getting a clean bill of health in that department requiring no adjustments. 8)

Fair warning guys, Brand new late model GS's have been found to have badly corroded driveshafts, Check it out on the internet if you don't believe me :shock:

So I strongly advise you ask to have them checked on your next service, you could save yourself a lot of heartache and grief down the track.

Thanks again Steve, Your a champion mate!!

Swampy
"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains.
Of rugged mountain ranges, of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons, I love her jeweled sea.
Her beauty and her terror, the wide brown land for me."
pspencer

Re: Elsie shafted by a Corroded Drive shaft

Post by pspencer »

Thanks Swampy and Steve for the info. Great work Steve to check Elsie all over and find that spline issue.
Goldie1

Post by Goldie1 »

My 1150RT universal joints were a bit sad,Bruce at Munich’s got a new set of universals machined in and they have grease nipples. Haven’t had any issues since
wightman

Post by wightman »

Hi Swampy

Steve is a champ, no doubts.

I have been riding pre '82 airheads continuously, since 1983 and have never replaced a drive shaft. The worst I have done is replace the oil every 2 years and the seals between the final drive and drive shaft and the drive shaft and the gearbox.

Just saying.........
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Great effort Steve

Sounds like you saved Swampy a lot of heartache, by going the extra mile :)
Regards
Cookie
R1200RT
F650GS
R75/6
Nurzo

Post by Nurzo »

wightman wrote:Hi Swampy

Steve is a champ, no doubts.

I have been riding pre '82 airheads continuously, since 1983 and have never replaced a drive shaft. The worst I have done is replace the oil every 2 years and the seals between the final drive and drive shaft and the drive shaft and the gearbox.

Just saying.........
Pre 82 airheads all have 50mm of oil in the drive shaft tunnel, this can very depending on seal leakage.
Sorry they don't make them that good any more. All because the rise and fall of the rear end was a bit hard to sell to chain drive riders.
Fix one problem and create a number of others.

Steve