R26 Parts

For Sale and Wanted

R26 Parts

Postby grahamjb » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:11 pm

Gents
I am after some tinwork for a R26 I purchased last year.
On pulling the bike down it is apparent that it has been badly damaged and poorly repaired since it was born in 1958.
I am chasing both front and rear mudguards, the airbox and if possible, another petrol tank for my R26.
I am not sure if the R25 and later model R27 share these parts and am hopeful that someone has some unused items lying around that they are willing to part with.

I can be contacted on 0423 299 724
Cheers
Graham Barron
grahamjb

Re: R26 Parts

Postby wightman » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Graham. Here's one route you could follow
http://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-FRONT-REAR-M ... SwdBRZgC0s
But, if you panelbeat your existing guards and tank and bog over the dings, they will look like new. I did just that with my R60 (they were rats**t before), it looks mint now. The tank and the airbox, you could get quite cheaply from US ebay motorcycle parts. You could try Maurice Glasson from the vintage motorcycle club, he has a complete rolling R26. Vince Radice of Bassendean Motorcycles is also a good touch for old bike tips/parts.
The painting is always going to be the most expensive part. I think that R25/R26 and R27 tinware is interchangeable

Cheers
John
wightman

Postby grahamjb » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for the reply John and I have looked at the ebay listings as per your link however their dimensions are wrong for both the front and rear mudguards.
I presume that Maurice Glasson is contactable through the VMC and will give him a try first....I wonder if he is the same Maurice Glasson I worked with in DCA 40 years ago....mmm

I haven't dealt with Vince from Bassendean Motorcycles so thank you for heads up.

With my guards the front one is a real mess and is covered with poor welds (63 welds at first count) that were previously bogged over. I can grind down the welds but the guard will still require re-rolling and Is probably beyond realistic repair.
The rear guard is paper thin with pin holes in a few spots but is repairable however a replacement would allow me to keep the rest of my hair which is also paper thin....

I have one large hole and a number of pin holes in the tank plus dents to deal with on the tank which are also repairable if push comes to shove - painting is pretty easy for me so that is the cheap bit :mrgreen:
Hopefully I will have some success with the contacts that you have provided

Cheers and thanks
Graham Barron
grahamjb

Postby wightman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 am

Hi Graham. If they are that bad, try Andrew or Michael. They can replicate your original pair. They are VMCCWA members

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... JUfwfSQbZt
wightman

Postby theape » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:31 am

Nice work John. I saw the workshop you mentioned down South, they make very nice new metal parts.
Cheers and happy new year.
Alex
theape

Postby grahamjb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:10 am

I have already been in touch with Vintage Steel and they don’t have anything suitable and they don’t have a big enough roller to suit a 125mm wide x 75mm deep D section.
Hopefully I will be able to locate a second hand mudguard as this one is knackered
Cheers
GB
grahamjb

Postby wightman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:03 am

I've heard good reports from this mob.....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... z9q8-kottG
wightman

Postby grahamjb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Couldn't find any R26 parts on the Old Timer Garage.

Have pretty well decided to have a go at repairing the one I have....

Thanks for the leads/comments gents
GB
grahamjb

Postby grahamjb » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Still pulling my R26 apart and finding surprises

Does anyone have an R26 aluminum 18" rim with no cracks radiating from the spoke holes that they are prepared to sell for a reasonable price and can you buy stainless steel spokes here in WA?

Plenty of sellers on the net but they work out expensive when freight is added.

I will be re- lacing my wheels myself as I was quoted $330 per wheel and all ideas/methods for rim trueing are welcome.

Cheers
Graham
grahamjb

Postby bwanainoz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:20 am

A few years ago, SS spokes were available from Spoke Wheel Services in Runyon Road Midland, although not sure if they are still operating?
bwanainoz

Postby grahamjb » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Spoke Wheel Services are still operating but have changed their address to Embleton and quoted me $330 per wheel to supply spokes and relace each wheel which I think is expensive for 36 spokes per wheel. When I asked SWS to quote on truing the wheel if I supplied and laced the wheels, the answer was " I will charge twice the amount to fix your attempt" which annoyed me hence why I am going to do it myself.
grahamjb

Postby wightman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:54 pm

Graham, I have a R50 rim which I blasted and painted silver. It looks like new, without any aggravation around the spoke holes. I know it is 18 inch but the rim may be wider than R26. I also think it has 40 spokes, which won't help you if yours is 36 spokes. If you have an original spoke I can take it along to the VMCC and get matching ss spokes from there. I also have a spoke tightening tool. It is easy to lace and true a wheel's spokes. These wheel people feel very precious about their speciality. I'll be back in town on Wednesday.
Cheers John
wightman

Postby grahamjb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks John and yes mine has 36 spokes.

I managed to order spokes on the net with free delivery which I am waiting for and will probably have to scrap one rim which has 17 radial cracks and 13 oval/elongated spoke holes. I am going to see how they respond to my TIG welding and if I can't weld them up, I will get another rim.

I would like to borrow your spoke tightening tool if possible.

Thanks
GB
grahamjb

Postby wightman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:38 pm

I'll bring it to Cats on Sunday
wightman

Postby wightman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 pm

wightman

Next

Return to Classifieds