Motorbike Tyres - Talk about tyres you've owned

How to; Why did it do that?; What do I do now!...

Re: Motorbike Tyres - Talk about tyres you've owned

Postby spacey1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 pm

There will have been material / technology changes in the tyres over the years.

Are the compounds used on the different tyres sizes the same? The larger having to deal with more hp that is...

You could infer that Conti have gone too far on a particular tech/compound aspect of the tyre and need to pull back a bit from the direction that they are heading.

Tyres are sleeper technology really. On the outside, they're just black and round. I'm still in awe of the advances made to tyre technology in my years of motorcycling. Grip, lean angle, durability to cater with huge horsepower.

My 60 hp bikes in the 70's chewed through rubber, any rubber in less than 6000 km... and didn't grip that well.

A thought, maybe the traction control on the new bike is limiting wheel spin and coincidentally improving tyre mileage, therefore more issues are cropping up?

Just like us humans getting older... :lol:
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Re: Motorbike Tyres - Talk about tyres you've owned

Postby spacey1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:47 am

Regarding Raider's reference to longevity of the TKC 80 on his various GSA models.

http://forum.bmwmccwa.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2499&start=30#p17947

The evidence would appear to support that manufacturers do muck around with tyre compounds within tyre models.

My first front TKC 70 had 27,000 km with maybe 3,000 km left. I replaced it due to some cracks appearing around the tread blocks.

http://forum.bmwmccwa.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2499&start=15#p16415

The second front TKC 70 fitted to my bike now has just 19,000 km and really needs replacing before summer is over and the rain starts.

That is a huge change in the durability of the tyre, more in-line with the durability of the rear.

Maybe the manufacturer made them too durable at the first iteration, and has since changed the compounds to ensure riders buy fronts and rears at the same time, ergo, spend more $$$$...
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Previous

Return to Technical