Camp Cook-Off 2019 location spotting

Plan, Organize and Report your Rides

Camp Cook-Off 2019 location spotting

Postby spacey1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:14 pm

After promising myself a quiet long weekend, it was all to turn out rather differently.

There was an enthusiastic turn-out at the Tuning Day. Lots of the usual suspects (air-heads) requiring the usual tweaking.

A couple of oil heads wanting a little de-bugging... one flooding Noel's shed with petrol fumes, but no luck on displaying any cruise control errors on the GS-911.
A simple service light re-set bombed as the seat on the R9T refused to budge... Interesting to see where that story goes...

Planned to sit out the heat at home when an offer too good to refuse arose at brekky on Sunday... Fancy a drive to the country to look over a couple of farms in the comfort of an air-conditioned 4WD. Get a little practice with the drone... Return home in comfort in another air-conditioned car! Sounded great!

It's hot and dry out there at this time! Hovered around 37 degC.

Did the rounds of Bulyee, Bullering, Yealering, Kweda, Kondinin, Cundinin, Dundinin, and plain ol' Dumbleyung...

Had an early start on Monday morning. Decided to ride as it was pretty cool and pleasant.

The much-needed drone practice went well enough. That eagle seemed a little too interested for my liking though... Did a flip on landing but didn't break anything.

Enjoyed swapping back and forth between the HD Road King and the BMW R1200 GS (oil head). Good to ride other bikes.
Suspension wise, these machines are light years apart... If HD could fix the suspension on the Road King and aftermarket manufacturers could curtail the noise, it'd be a pretty good ride!
Surprisingly, the Road King used the same amount of fuel as the GS. Pretty impressive for such a BIG machine.

Parked up in the shade with the Road King and comfy ol' GS...

As usual, the food offering in country pubs was superb. Easily out-doing any of your city Jamie Oliver types servings and great value to boot.
Stumpy's Roadhouse had awesome sausage rolls. I went back and bought another...
The pies are apparently very good. That's probably true. JD rated 'em pretty highly...
My old adage is, 'If they can't make a tasty sausage roll, I'm not wasting money on trying their pies!'
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Re: Camp Cook-Off 2019 location spotting

Postby Bozo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Nev

Interesting country.

Bozo
Last edited by Bozo on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bozo

Postby spacey1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Did a bit of location spotting for the next Camp-Cook-off... Find this plaque!

Does this help?

Kweda Golf Club? Up the road from Bulyee of course...
Himalayas Royal Enfield Tour 2017; Camp Cook-Off Winner 2017; Kennedy Ranges; Three Oceans Tour Australia; Hyden-Norseman Breakaways; R1200 series final drive repair; Mt Augustus; Bimbijy Station; Around Oz
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 pm

Another shady spot for a drink

Dropped into that water-skiing spot on Lake Yealering on the way back to Narrogin...

HD Road King at Yealering

Looks like it'll be another 20 years (Correction: 1985, then 2017) before the locals can drag out the water ski boats...

Standing on the end of the jetty at Lake Yealering March 2019

Standing on the end of the jetty at Lake Yealering February 2017

There was a time when I could 'walk on water' at Lake Yealering...
February 2017: So I took the opportunity to practice that ancient art of 'walking on water'.

Sadly I've lost those powers...

Walking on the dry jetty at Lake Yealering

Decided to head home on the comfy BMW R1200 GS. Had a most uneventful ride back to Perth. No traffic to speak of on the Brookton Highway, a little surprising considering it was the last day of our long weekend. The temperature hovered around 38 degC most of the way until descending into Perth... where it stuck it to me at 41 degC!

Home safely, washed what few bugs there were off the front of the bike, sat down with the ice cream and fresh passion fruit from our vines. Didn't do much else..........

Thanks to JD for the extra pix and the great weekend.
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:53 pm

Back in February of 2017, when the big rain saturated our South-West, Lake Dumbleyung, Lake Yealering and surrounding empty lakes were filled.

Reference: http://forum.bmwmccwa.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3059&p=15301&hilit=yealering#p15229

Bozo, not much to eat at the Kweda Golf Club, not even for sheep. You'd be advised to bring your own tucker... :lol:

Reference: Lake Yealering at June 2013: http://www.mingor.net/localities/yealering.html
spacey1

Postby spacey1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Another suggestion: Dwarlaking Pool

A body of water about 200 metres long, steep sides and relatively deep?
spacey1

Return to Rides